Why yes, that is a pretty new sewing machine gracing my desk. I was kind of window shopping and dreaming about a new sewing machine when all of a sudden, there I am at the counter, asking the man to order one in for me. Apparently subconscious-me likes a good bargain and is much more decisive than usual-me.
It’s a Bernina 550QE and I am in love. Oh it’s such a dream to sew on. Once I’ve played around with it a bit more, I’ll do more of a write-up to share my thoughts for those interested!
Meantime, must share the background of the above pic. My sewing desk actually faces into the lounge room. When I was trying to take this photo, my children were eating brekkie, in their pyjamas and watching tv. Not the ideal background for my sewing machine shot! So I made them help and hold up a quilt for the backdrop. That’s what happens when your Mum quilts.
My little gal had to stand on her chair to be tall enough hehe! They were very patient though (minor complaints about sore arms after the photo – sorry kids, that’s part and parcel of the job) and then asked if they could do it again. They will be quilt holders yet! They just need to grow a little taller.
So what’s this got to do with my Christmas update? Well I’m thinking this is kind of an early Christmas present for me. Plus I used my lovely new machine this weekend to check one thing off my Making Christmas list!
Remember my Christmas Robin Wreath pattern I was yapping about weeks ago? Well I finally made it into a mini quilt. You can find the paper pieced pattern in my Craftsy shop.
(Ignore the colours on this – they are much closer to the first photo). You may notice there’s quite a bit of quilting happening on this mini. Most unusual for me! I figured this mini was the perfect excuse to try out all the fancy gadgets on my new machine that are designed for FMQ – mainly the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator). Hello easy FMQ! I didn’t even need the foot pedal – I could just focus on moving the fabric. It’s seriously like magic.
I also tried out my new walking foot that came with the machine for a bit of straight line quilting on the wreath. Bliss. And even better, I now have a little Christmas gift done for my Nan.
So my updated list now looks like:
1. 2 x tote bags for the teacher’s aides in my kidlet’s classroom as end of year gifts. The teacher’s quilt is done, but I’m afraid the aides are getting totes instead. Still no progress – is it HARD to make stuff for people you don’t know well!
2. A maple leaf wreath mini for me – just because I can’t get the idea of this out of my head. No more progress. I’ve lost motivation. Sad but true.
3. Cushions for Mum’s lounge – Christmas present. I have the fabric but that’s it!
4. Secret Santa gift for Wombat Stew. Have an inkling of an idea!
5. Some kind of handmade gift for the kidlets for Christmas. I’m making them cushions! You’ll find out more about that soon during a fun upcoming blog hop care of MsMidge!
So I’m slowly whittling that list down to a more manageable size. Today’s agenda is to tackle either the cushions for Mum or the tote bags. Depending on what kind of inspiration strikes today. Wish me luck!
Linking my updated list up with Fiona of Celtic Thistle Stitches for Making Christmas!