I think it’s safe to say my sewjo has returned. All it took was getting a new sewing machine. Ok I don’t necessarily recommend that as being financially viable every time the sewjo disappears. It probably helps that the three courses of antibiotics have done the job and I’m pretty much back to normal. Barring the tendency to bark like a seal whenever I get a tickle in my throat.
So! What does all that nattering mean? I’ve done some sewing, that’s what. I even started a new project!
I saw the pattern for this Winter Stars block in the current Christmas issue of Fat Quarterly (where you can also find my Leaf runner project!), and it was pretty much love at first sight. How perfect then that the day before, my fabric order of Sun Print Bike Path arrived. Even more perfect, serendipitous you might say, the fact that a number of the Kona Solids I ordered paired beautifully with the Bike Path prints (completely unplanned, oh happy day!). I did have to hunt down a solid grey and ended up with this one that is more a slate grey, despite having my heart set on a charcoal grey. When you live in a small town, your local shopping options are limited (and expensive).
But I am loving how these blocks are looking together! At first I wasn’t sure if the two fabrics for the petals was the right look for my quilt, but after having made 3 of these, I’m convinced.
The pattern is Winter Stars and it’s designed by Lynne of Lily’s Quilts. It’s paper pieced but being such a large block, I only have to make 9 of these beauties to have a rather decently sized quilt.
I’m still deciding on colours for the other flowers, but I’m liking where this is going. It’ll be a Christmas present for my Mum. (Mum if you are reading this, please adopt the “I’m SO surprised” attitude that you do so well when you see this quilt on Christmas Day).
In other flowery news, I have finished the Blossoms quilt top and I have quilted it!
I have not however trimmed it or bound it, so this is as good a pic as I’m going to share right now. I will say though… thanks to my fancy pants new sewing machine, I was brave enough to attempt FMQ once more. Boy does a BSR make FMQ much much easier!
This is the back of the quilt (obviously). I added one of these little flowers (slightly wonky and all) to each of the blossoms. The rest of the quilting however is my trusty straight line quilting to outline the blocks. Overall though, I’m pretty happy with it. This is yet another Christmas present – for my Miss 3, Lulu. She knows it’s for her which is good as she hasn’t yet perfected the pretend-to-be-surprised look.
And so my friends, that’s me for WiP Wed. With actual WiP that have had progress made on them! Yay sewjo! Yay new projects! Yay new sewing machine! Yay yay yay! Linking up over at Freshly Pieced to share all my yayness:)