Tuesday 5 March 2013

My sister is amazing.

 For starters, she has me as a sister. Isn’t she lucky? Because then she gets awesome gifts like this:

Faith - paper pieced canvas
(Details on this further down).

Okay so having me as a sister isn’t the only thing that qualifies her for being amazing. She is also a helicopter pilot. I think that’s pretty fabulous in itself. She decided before she turned 30, that an office job was not for her and she’s chased after her dream and has become a helicopter pilot. We’re pretty proud.

NelleNelle Helicopter

But then his happened.
Helicopter emergency landing

This was a scary day for us all. Having a sister who is a helicopter pilot, you dread the phone call “Your sister has had an accident”. I got that call from my mum the other day. It’s possible I stopped breathing for a moment. Fortunately, there was a good result. Because my sister is amazing.

The helicopter started having engine trouble just after take off. My sister had passengers on board (a father and two children) when it happened. In a split second, she had to make the decisions that were going to save their lives. She realised she couldn’t get the helicopter back to the wharf in time, so she turned back towards the shore and took it in as close as she could, making an amazing emergency landing in the water. Then, upon smelling petrol, she got the helicopter shut down and the passengers out to safety. The news reports and officials involved have all praised her for doing such an amazing job.

Yeah. My sister is amazing.

Towing the heli 2

Her poor helicopter then had to be rescued and flown off by another helicopter. Not a sight you see every day!!

So it’s been a pretty big ordeal, but with a happy ending. My sister flew by herself, just one week after this scary incident. Today she was going flying again with passengers for the first time since the emergency landing. It’s a .big. deal.

And it’s scary. So I wanted to make my sister a little gift to remind her that we have faith in her, and that she needs to have faith in herself and in God. I very nearly made her a cushion but why stick with a cushion when I have a spare canvas and a newly found addiction to a staple gun?

Paper Pieced Faith Canvas

I used the Just My Type paper pieced alphabet patterns to make the word “faith” in black Color Weave on a white solid background.

Just My Type Paper Pieced Alphabet Faith

Then added a little paper pieced bird in my sister’s favourite colour, in Sketch, with a few embroidered details.

Paper pieced birdie

I added a layer of batting, and then used the handy dandy staple gun to attach it to a 30cm (12”) square canvas. Now it’s ready to go!

I hope that having this as a bit of wall art is a bit more useful than a cushion. And just lets her know how much we think of her and how much faith we have in her that she go on with her dream and continue to be an amazing pilot.

Faith with a verse

I added a little verse about faith on the back – thought it was appropriate.

Verse on Faith

I’ll be posting this off to her tomorrow. I wish I could give it to her in person, along with a big hug and tell her just how proud I am. But I’ll add a note and send her to this blog post so she can read it for herself. She doesn’t usually check my blog until I force her, so if you feel like telling her she’s amazing in a comment, feel free Winking smile

I think my sister is pretty amazing.


29 comments:

  1. It sounds like your amazing sister also has an amazing sister to watch after her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, indeed! What an amazing sis. I bet she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sister does sound incredible, that makes two incredible sisters in your family by my count. Lovely wall hanging- a really thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job by both incredible sisters! Clearly an over-achieving family methinks! Well done to your sister on landing safely and putting her passengers first, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what an amazing sister! And that is one of my favourite verses :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To your sister~Kristy is right.. you're AMAZING!!! Wow! The thing that all pilots don't even want to dream of happening happened to you.. and you used your skill and bravery to handle it and walked away, as did your passengers. Wow!!

    Kristy~I love the canvas you made. So perfect. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is fantastic - never been in a helicopter but I'd have her as my pilot any day! The canvas is amazing too, she is blessed to have you as a sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is amazing, when I'm in a helicopter I always try and think "more people get killed on the roads" ...... It sort of gives me confidence.....a great recovery to jump straight back in there too...best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you could share this happy ending with us. Seems like your sis is great pilot besides being amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap - that was your sister?! It happened in Rotorua, right? I read about it on the news at the time and she was definitely getting props from everyone involved! Great gift - I'm sure your sister will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great end to what must have been a few very scary moments! Lovely canvas to show how you have her back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow she is amazing, we all need faith in life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly an amazing sister ~ so glad she is safe! Lovely gift to be reminded of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very scary and very amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sister is amazing :)

    I absolutely LOVE your canvas wall art--gotta try that some time. Sky's the limit--how ironic that I just wrote that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay to your sis for 1. Chasing her dreams and 2. Making an amazing landing!! The pillow you made her is very special too!! The addition of the bird is perfect and I love the verse on the back. That will definitely be a piece of happy mail to brighten her day!! You two are both amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing and keep the FAITH!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy moly! That IS amazing! Kudos to her for her quick thinking and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome. I love that little green bird!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a star your sister is to keep her head in such a dangerous situation. The canvas is a lovely way to share your thoughts with your sister too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes - definitely TWO amazing sisters! Love the green sketch birdy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you are both very lucky to be sisters and have each other! I am sure she is proud of you too! Love the little birdie and can't wait to try to alphabet paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Let me add another 'amazing' to the chorus. Being a pilot requires some serious presence of mind, quick wit, and instant decision making. I can see your sister embodies all these qualities. The family she protected must be so grateful to her.

    Your wall hanging is sure to remind her of her faith every time she goes up in the air and the verse you selected is most appropriate. Amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is amazing and her sister is pretty amazing too. Love the Faith and birdie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woot! Your sister is amazing and I think SHE has a pretty amazing sister too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad her quick thinking had everyone coming out of a potentially tragic situation in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your family has 2 amazing sisters! She will love your beautiful gift!
    Your birdie makes it so personal and sweet.

    susie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. I am 'the sister'. Am I amazing? not sure about that.. but I do know I am amazingly blessed to have a sister like mine. I am also immensely proud of her for her creativity, sensitivity and thoughfulness in all her works. I can see that everyone on this post has good taste and also admires her work. I am also blown away by the kind words and support from everyone who commented on this blog. Thank you, it really does mean a lot to me. I LOVE my canvas and it is so fitting considering recent events. I do have faith and it's what keeps me going, but I certainly need to be reminded of it, so having this on my wall and seeing it daily is a great reminder (plus very pretty to look at).
    Thank you - to my beautiful sister for loving me and being so encouraging, and Thank you to everyone who posted on this blog x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!