My ironing board cover was looking rather disgusting. It didn’t help that one of my not-so-helpful children had pulled the string out that held it in place. So not only did my ironing board cover look terrible, it didn’t stay in place. Rather useless for an ironing board. It became one of those projects that I’d get to. Eventually.
We won’t discuss just how long it took to get around to this project. Especially when the new cover was made in less than a few hours and with less than a half yard of fabric.
It really was easy! All I did was trace around my ironing board onto the fabric (Riley Blake Chevrons – hello pretty!) then used pinking shears to cut around the shape – adding an extra 2” to each side. I would probably add a bit more extra if I made this again just to give me a bit more fabric to work with.
I lined up my elastic on the outside and folded enough fabric over to cover the elastic and a little bit to sew along. I found a zipper foot was perfect for sewing –close- to the elastic without sewing over it. Really, I could have sewn the edge then threaded through the elastic, but hey, I’m lazy. It was way quicker to sew it in.
Once it’s fitted (and elastic pulled tight to within an inch of its life), you can’t even see my rough pinked edges. They fold in tidily underneath. As for padding – I just used an old towel – folded in half and cut roughly (very roughly!) to the shape of my ironing board.
Tada! New ironing board cover!
I don’t know why I put off doing this. It was easy and really rather quick. And now I have a much prettier cover! Maybe it'll even encourage me to iron clothes, not just quilting projects. Maybe.