Tuesday 21 August 2012

Hey!

 If your child watches LEGO® videos as much as mine, I bet you know the exact sound of that “Hey!”. It seems to feature in all the videos and even on the boxes of LEGO bricks.

Lego face

Wondering why I’m typing LEGO all in caps? I’m not shouting it at you, honest. Even though it feels like it’s the most widely used word in my household at the moment and frequently shouted (well second only to NO! Youngest is 2, need I say more?).

Well! I wrote to the LEGO group to see if it would be okay to share my LEGO patterns on my blog. They said yes! With a few stipulations. One being that whenever I write the word LEGO it’s all caps. Seriously though, I feel like I’m shouting LEGO LEGO LEGO! But hey if it means I can share my patterns as has been requested, I don't mind! Oh and the word LEGO is also apparently an adjective, not a noun. Who knew?!

I used the LEGO minifigures and bricks for my inspiration for a playmat for my kidlet’s birthday. It’s not finished yet, but here’s the top:

Lego play mat top

It probably doesn’t look that big. But it’s 60” square. That’s big enough for a play mat I think! The mini figure and face in the middle are 12” blocks. I cheated and appliqued the face on the centre one, but the other mini figures got embroidered faces.

Red minifigGreen minifig
Black minifigBlue minifig

Despite these blocks all looking different sizes, and with weird heads, I assure you they are actually all the same. I'm just terrible at photography! Anyways, I asked my son to pick out his favourite LEGO mini figures based on their faces, and then I tried to copy them in embroidery.

Lego minifigures
Perhaps not so successfully but Mr 4 is so encouraging with my quilting and sewing, so I’m sure he’ll love them anyways.

So patterns! You can find the patterns for the LEGO mini figures, blocks, and also the big LEGO mini figure head HERE. The proviso with these patterns,unlike my other patterns, is that these are for personal use only. So you can’t make something from these patterns to later sell. But have a blast making something for the LEGO fan in your life Winking smile

Meanwhile, I really need to get a move on and finish up the play mat so it’s ready for the big birthday! 17 sleeps to go I’ve been informed.

Linking up with WiP Wednesday, even though I wrote this post on a Tuesday. It's my big WiP :)

31 comments:

  1. Nice work! Love that dude with the red trousers, he's a scary looking guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This LEGO quilt is fabulous! Thanks for the paterns, I can see one of these in my future ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fabulous! I loved LEGO as a kid, and I hope my (future) kids will too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome! Great job on the embroidery and applique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful, and I'm glad the folks at LEGO (haha,it does feel funny to type in all caps!) let you share it with the world, because I'm sure the pattern will get a lot of use! Unfortunately, all of the LEGO fans in my life are 20-something males who probably WOULD love it, but they have little use for playmats at the present time. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I must go change my blog entries to include all caps whenever I talk about LEGO. Weird! Who knew!? This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute, I think you had a lot of fun with this! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute and it is a perfect size for a playmat. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's coming along great! Can't wait for the final reveal and see how you'll quilt it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks wonderful, love all the LEGO guys!
    We are also huge fans of bricks, my kids are unfortunately too old for making one....so sad!
    I am really enjoying seeing where all your paper piecing is taking you, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh now I have to write LEGO all the time.
    Such a fun playmat the LEGO guy with the beard is soo cool! The picture really does make it look a lot smaller...maybe you should have snapped it with a LEGO block for contrast =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW! I am so excited that LEGO has allowed you to do this! That is just totally awesome! I have a LEGO mad BIL who *whistpering very quietly* have told me that I am going to be an Aunty again - but their first! Anyway, this would be an awesome birth present - I have until March so plenty of time LOL!
    Thank you so much for sharing this to not only me but to all the other PP ladies that you have managed to inspire and help soothe their PP addictions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! I remembered reading last time that you were going to leave the middle plain, and I thought that was a great idea... Until I saw what you did!!! This looks amazing!!! Your kidlet (ahh, that is too cute!) will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's great that you (a) made the le...oh, wait...LEGO patterns, and (b) asked their permission, and (c) are sharing them! These are really great designs, and I know lots of moms (of boys and girls, both) will be glad to be able to make LEGO stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, I am a huge fan of LEGO toys!! This quilt is absolutely BRILLIANT and how awesome that they gave you permission to share the pattern!! One of my friends makes LEGO castles based on real historic sites. Ever since I saw those, I've been a huge an of all things LEGO. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr 4 is going to absolutely love this - so I am curious to see what you will put on the back. Maybe LEGO should think of expanding into the fabric market - given that so many of us mums love LEGO as much as our kids do! Well done on the embroidery and applique - just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the LEGO quilt. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristy this is so cool! My little LEGO lover would adore this quilt. Thanks so much for the patterns.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. How stinkin' clever! My husband would love one of these. HA! And how great of LEGO to be supportive of this! :) It's not everyday a big company like that says "YES!" :) Way to go!

    -Amanda-

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! That Lego quilt is awesome!! Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, love the playmat! thanks for sharing the pattern, I'm surrounded by LEGO enthusiasts around here, I just might need to make something with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks great. I work for LEGO and that was one of the first things they taught us. They are not legos, they are LEGO sets, LEGO bricks, LEGO _____. They're a pretty awesome company.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My 29 yr old son is the LEGO maniac in our family. He would just think this is the coolest thing!
    I wouldn't have thought much about asking LEGO for permission to post photos of a quilt if I was patterning one myself from the blocks. I sure learned something new in your post too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea! I think my husband would love a quilt with little LEGO men lol. I enjoyed learning a little about LEGO as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so stinking cute and creative! I find myself more commonly thinking about what I can quilt for my nieces that I find that "the boys would love this" barely cross my mind. I think my nephews would be proud to own something like this though. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great Lego blocks... I'm from 'Lego land' (it's a Danish company) and my boys used to love p,aging with it. They've unfortunately outgrown it a bit now and these days it seems the computer is more fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing the pattern! Love the Lego men.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!