Wednesday 3 October 2012

WiP Wednesday: Procrastination

 This is what procrastination looks like in my sewing room today:

Sewing mini quilt

That’s right. Instead of working on current WiPs, I started a new one. This is just a little mini quilt though for my sewing room.

I have two kids. I sew for sanity. This silly little phrase that sums it all up kept going through my head when I was trying to sleep last night, so today was dedicated to turning it into something fabric-y.

But now I’m stuck. What do I use for binding? Black and white stripes, or black and white teeny dots would be ideal. Of course I don’t have either of those. I have these:

Which binding

I’m leaning towards the black solid. It’s that or wait til I’m next at the shops and hope to find just the right fabric. Not sure if I’m that patient or if my motivation will stick around that long. Oh the dilemma!

Meanwhile, this bit of fun has kept me from thinking about how to finish this big WiP:

Quiet-Play-Diamond-Stars-Quilt-Top

Yep. No more progress on that one. I’ve fallen out of love with it. I keep thinking, but what am I going to do with it when it’s done?! It’s only a smallish quilt and I don’t want to make it much bigger (a few borders, that’s it). So I think that idea is stopping me from working on it.

Ah well – I find I work better when I’m motivated. Quilting’s a hobby after all, don’t want it to become a chore. Else it won’t do such a good job at keeping the crazy away. Winking smile

Linking up with WiP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.
 
wipwednesdaybutton

24 comments:

  1. I am LOVING your mini quilt! How about a pieced binding... use all and any black-and-white prints you got - it's all about crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, love your style! Is that some more FMQ that I spy?
    (banishing the crazies is as good a reason as I know for sewing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that mini quilt is perfect.i read in a magazine somewhere that craft keeps depression at bay as it's so therapeutic! as for the binding i tend to agree with PQ, do a combo of all black/white fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mini is great! If you don't go with the combo idea, I like the text print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mini! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mini is just darling-- I love the sentiment-- it is so true!
    I'd go with the black solid for binding, but that text print could be a lot of fun. I think the dots are a little too big for your mini.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the mini! But I think it may be too late for me.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mini quilt. I totally agree with the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the solid black for the border would kind of draw a line around the whole thing and it carries through with the black corner 'Keep Calm' blocks and the black writing. This is a bit of an 'out there' idea for your star quilt and bear in mind I'm not sure how big it is or how big you want it to be but what about changing the shape slightly by cutting the corners back a bit? It would make it an interesting shape and you could still throw a couple of borders on. Otherwise perhaps put a green border the same width as the other green sashing around it as is, then maybe a border of squares using all the colours in your stars and then finish with green again? Just a couple of thoughts I had! Feel free to ignore them by all means! Its such a pretty quilt and I'm sure you'll come up with the right finish just when you're not thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mini quilt is adorable... I totally believe in craft therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mini quilt made me almost spit my coffee out....wasn't expecting that! Thanks for the visit and the comment. I am so guilty too of starting new projects and often making more messes before finishing up what I really need to...why is that?!?!? Keep sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that min quilt is AMAZING! I need one in my life. Did you embroider or appliqué the letters? And is the keep calm fabric a custom because it really jazzes the quilt up. Brilliant! I would love to see black and white striped binding personally I think it would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE YOUR MINI!!!

    I like the idea of the black as your binding, but the text is a close second. I agree with the others, the dot is too big. Or wait it out for a stripe...I mean, who doesn't need more fabric *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your mini quilt. And it's really true :)

    How about putting the other quilt away for a little time. Some day you'll have just the motivation to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mini quilt is so cute! I would use the black to give it a solid finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want one!!! So cute! Fits me perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your mini!! With 6 kids "sewing for sanity" is my mantra!! I would pick the black binding or take a pin dipped in white fabric paint to create your own dotty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to join your club as I feel the same way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the black solid in the absence of those perfect black and white dots ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Even though my kids are grown, & sew for sanity too! It's a great escape from the job & life's pressures and all!! Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the mini! Totally agree with that. I think the solid black would work well as binding as it ties with the solid black lettering.

    ReplyDelete
  22. that is a fab mini quilt! I think it'd look great with the solid black binding

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for popping by my blog. I love what you do. Great photos showing the process

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!