Saturday 16 August 2014

A few blocks! A few patterns!

There has not been a great deal of sewing happening around these parts I’m afraid to say. But I have managed to do a few little bits here and there to try to keep on track with my Bee block commitments! So I thought I would take a few minutes amidst mad magazine preparation (only a few weeks to go til Issue 1!!) and adjusting to homeschooling, to share my recent sewing adventures.

Firstly – a little star block for Alyce for Wombat Stew. The theme was stars with these colours chosen by Alyce. The lovely Midge had asked me to draw up a Mariner’s Compass block for her, and this one happened in the process. I love that around the star looks circular but it’s all done with straight lines.
Mariner's Star

I couldn’t resist using the coral Feathers print from Wee Wander for the background. A few Domino Dots for the navy, and the Pearl Bracelets and Bike Path went together beautifully for the star. I know I know, I’m fabric-name-dropping like a champion! You know how it is. I have also listed this pattern in my Craftsy shop.

Next up – a do.good Stitches block for the Care Circle. Rachel chose this one and it wasn’t as straight forward as one might think. It’s a template based block which can often present a challenge with getting the templates all to print off at the same size. I will admit to some swearing and unpicking during this block, but it’s done. I think Rachel chose beautiful colours for this Octagonal Orb. But I won’t be making this block again ;)

Octagonal Orb

Then it was back to a little more paper piecing! This time a simple little house for Elnora for the Wee Bee. She requested mixed low volume background and a bright house. Naturally I couldn’t resist a little bit of fussy cutting!

Paper pieced house

This little house pattern is part of a 9 pattern house bundle that you can find in my Craftsy shop.  It’s very creatively titled “Little House Paper Pieced Bundle”. I”m good with words and naming things. Yep.

So there you have it. Proof that a little bit of sewing has been happening! There’s still a LOT left on my to do list but one thing at a time! Isn’t that the age-old quilter’s dilemma? So many projects, not enough time! I think I am due for some sanity sewing soon though. Must schedule that in! ;)

Happy sewing my friends!

13 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make an octagonal orb. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful blocks Kristy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I felt the same way about that Octogonal Orb block - I made one for a bee and never again! Looks effective as a quilt but the middle was too bulky for my liking. LOVE your Mariners block :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mariner's compass block. I think the fabrics really make the block. It sort of reminds me of a starfish. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That star block is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way that straight line circle works is nicely done. And all the dots are like bubbles in water, so fun for a mariners compass. Time to work on lots of projects? What is this ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty blocks! Absolutely love your fussy cutting in the house block. So darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your mariner's star - just fabulous ! the orb turned out beautifully and love your little house - so cute !

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are all great, sure brighten a dull day :) Think Elnora will love the house especially the fussy cutting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I lovevall your blocks you made, Kristy! The fussy cut little girl in the windows look totally adorable! And I love your Mariner's compass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all gorgeous!! The fabrics in the first one are perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eeeeek! I received the darling little house block yesterday, and I love it! Thank you so, so much, Kristy! Just what I was hoping for... Your other blocks are wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristy - what fabulous blocks you create! I especially am in love with the children you placed in your little house block!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!