Friday 18 July 2014

Happenings Around Here

 Hello friends! Thanks for not deserting me of late when my blog posts have been few and far between! I’m afraid they may stay that way for a little while. So I thought I’d pop in and post a little explanation.

There are a few big happenings here in Quiet Play land. Firstly, I posted about this last week – but any excuse to mention it again! A couple of my quilty besties and I are in the process of creating a new digital modern quilting magazine! We are so passionate and excited about Make Modern and are preparing to have our first issue out on the 1st September. It’s super exciting, and also super time consuming – but I am loving every second of it.

Here’s a little sneak peek of one of our favourite paper pieced characters… you’ll find the rest of this pattern in our very first issue!

Mini Sneak Peek

If you’re interested in finding out more about Make Modern (and who wouldn’t be – modern quilt projects and articles? Yes please!), you can check out our website! You can subscribe to our newsletter, check out our IG, read our blog (free project!) or pre-order the magazine now. Oh yep, we’re everywhere, doing everything. It’s awesome. :)

Make Modern

So that’s the work side. The home side at the moment has also gotten unexpectedly busier. After much agonising, sleepless nights, some tears, some manic muppet style flailing, I have decided to home school my son. I have written previously about J and some of the issues he has (ADHD, SPD, and currently in the process of an Aspergers assessment). School has not been easy for him this year and he has developed anxiety. Traditional school can be a very noisy, overwhelming, distracting place and this year has been tough. Add into that a nasty bully who has caused some dramas for my boy, and it’s been difficult.

So. I am now a home schooling mama! I’d love to connect with other mums who are doing the home schooling thing. I will add we are enrolling in a college that does Distance Education, so fortunately I don’t have to do the entire curriculum myself (an idea that fills me with dread despite actually being a trained primary school teacher…). The work arrives next week and we are looking forward to starting it. But naturally it does cut down on some of my time.

And so with all this in mind, and my plate becoming somewhat fuller, I’ve decide to retire the Paper Piecing Party. I am not sewing as much, nor designing patterns as much as I was and it’s become difficult to come up with things each week to share! I do hope you’ll forgive me – and I thank you for being involved in the party over the past however long. It has been very fun!

I will still be blogging (when I have something to share) and of course I’m having ridiculous amounts of fun on IG (@quietplay – come hang out with me!). And I hope you’ll understand the cut back on the blogging! I love it, but something has to give somewhere! Don’t worry – I”m still a paper piecing fiend planning to take over the quilty world with paper piecing goodness – just maybe at a snail’s pace! Winking smile So wish me luck my friends! Big changes but much excitement ahead!

24 comments:

  1. You certainly have been busy. Congratulations on the magazine. Good luck with it and with home schooling you son, I'm sure you'll be great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where you have been finding the time so I'm glad you're easing off in some areas! Good luck with both the home schooling and the magazine, I hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes with the magazine release and your homeschooling plans. I'm sorry that bullying and difficulties have caused your son anxiety, but am glad he has such a caring mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will miss your delightful patterns, but look forward to your magazine. Having been a rural school teacher for many years, have fun teaching your child. We lived in a logging camp and it was my first year of teaching...and I taught both of my children along with others in a multigrade classroon (K-6)...they turned out to be wonderful adults and survived their mom teaching them and I look back at it with fond memories. Have fun and enjoy your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of good blogs that talk about homeschooling: Stitched in Color and Balancing Everything. Love their other, non-homeschooling posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll miss your paper piecing parties but obviously you have a lot on your plate! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is really exciting, a whole new era. I miss reading your blog, but good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. exciting times ahead Kristy - all the best with it all xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the magazine news. Good luck with the homeschooling, if is the better for your son, will be the better for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a good mamma! I'm sure the decision to home school was not an easy one to make; you'll be fantastic and I bet J will love having you teach him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristy, best of luck with the new life changes. I'm sure your son will love having more time with you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you are the best! Of course we understand that you need to do what is best for your family ! We have been spoiled in the past , and will gobble anything that you design and create and post , whenever you have the time for it! I can't wait for the new MakeModern magazine!
    hugs, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh you have some huge changes happening in your life right now, good luck with everything I am sure that you will cope with them all with your usual elan :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Family always comes first so congratulations on your decision to home school, on the new magazine and on the choice of stepping back from your wonderful blog. I will miss reading your posts but there is only so much of you to go round. All the very best to you in all of your new ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck to you in your new endeavors. I'm sure you will be doing your son a world of good with your home schooling and that you will be very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am gearing up for my 7th year of home schooling and I now have grades 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, kindergarten, preschool, and a baby (+ a partridge in a pear tree!), so I understand your anxiety! My besr advice? Take. It. Slow. Give your son and yourself time to adjust to this "new normal". You're not a classroom nor will you function as one. There will be a learning curve, to work out what works for you and what doesn't. This is very important: THERE IS NO WRONG WAY! You know your son better than any teacher. You know what he can and can't do. What he's ready for and what he's not. Go at HIS pace, not someone else's. Enjoy the ride!! Your son is worth it! :) (if you would like to pick my brain about anything, you can contact me through my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristy, your son is so lucky to have a caring mum like you. Good luck with all the changes in your life. I really hope that your young man can gain a sense of peace and start enjoying his learning instead of feeling anxious about school. Don't worry about your loyal blog- fans we will be reading your magazine and following you on IG. Hugs to you, my friend.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, lots of big happenings in your world right now! I wish you the best of luck with the new mag, looking forward to the first issue! And also with your new journey into homeschooling. So sorry to hear about J being bullied, one of my biggest worries about my little guy starting school this year is being bullied. Some kids just suck! You're going to be a fantastic homeschoolin' mom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. J's a lucky boy tohavesuch a committed mum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your new venture - just signed up for a twelve month subscription. On a side note have been having lots of fun with the Dew Kitschy BOM. All the best for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck in homeschooling. Knowing you, you'll do fine, as will your son. Doing what is best for our kids is the most important thing we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so excited for you in your new ventures, both the fabulous magazine, and home schooling! I conduct research in early childhood education here in the US, and would very gladly send you any information or find any information that you feel you need. Please do ask. There is a whole world and community of parents with children similar to your son who are there for you. Any many resources and philosophies to explore. XX! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  23. The homeschooling community has grown so much and there is so much opportunity out there! I hope you and your son really enjoy this time together as I did in the year's that I homeschooled.

    I just read a book that impressed me.. Regardless of your son's diagnosis, and although it is from 2007 (I think) you may find intriguing as well, it provides good insight into the workings of the brain. I found it on CD at my library http://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Autism-Weaving-Threads-Cogent/dp/0972023526/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406672293&sr=8-2&keywords=the+threads+autism

    The author, Dr Judith Bluestone founded HANDLE
    http://www.handle.org/about/bluestone-story.html

    Perhaps your son will come up with a few patterns of his own and take interest in blogging a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Big news! Wow amazing, wow a magazine!!!
    I am so happy for you and your friends!
    We are all proud if you taking the next step for your son's education.
    Hugs,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!