Friday 29 November 2013

Winterbound - A New Quilt Pattern!

 Tada! I feel like there should be a drum roll or some other kind of grand lead up or fanfare, but all I got is… Tada!

The pattern for Winterbound has been written up, tested, and now listed. In addition to all that, I have finished my original quilt! So let’s start with a photo or two.


Winterbound

I used Sun Print Feathers in my quilt – in 6 different colours. I debated a bit on whether to use white, grey or jade as the background but I’m rather happy with the white. Brings the colours out beautifully!

Backing of Winterbound

I backed it with fleece – so it’s lightweight, but still snuggly and cosy. Simple straight line quilting, black binding to make the colours pop… and it’s done! I’m a happy quilter!

So now Winterbound is written up as an entire quilt pattern. Not just the block pattern like most of those I have listed in my Craftsy shop – this one has all the details and instructions on how to make this a throw quilt. The finished size is around 48” x 60”. Perfect size to snuggle on the lounge with!
I had some wonderful testers to try out the quilt pattern for me. So here are some photos from the testers to show how Winterbound looks in different fabrics and colour schemes.

This is Sandy from Upstairs Hobby Room’s version made with Pearl Bracelets:

Winterbound by Sandy

And this one in solids is by Hilary from Young Texan Mama:

Winterbound by Hilary

This is Debbrah’s version in lovely blues and browns:

Winterbound by Debbrah

A big thank you to the lovely testers – I really appreciate your help and suggestions! It’s easy enough to test your own pattern but it really helps to have extra eyes to catch any mistakes!

The quilt is paper pieced – so there are quite a few paper pieced blocks in this pattern. But this pattern is a lovely simple one to put together and you’ll be surprised at how quickly the paper pieced blocks come together. Instructions are included for making this into a throw quilt (48” x 60”) but it would be very easy to size up or down as needed.

Winterbound quilt

So I will finish this post the same way I started it. With my vague attempt at fanfare… Tada! Winterbound is finished and listed! And you can find it here in my Craftsy shop – you know, in case you want to make your own version (which I hope you do and then show me pictures so I can ooh and ahh over your fabulous fabric choices and amazing quilting! Winking smile ).

That is my paper piecing sharing for this week! Have some of your own to share? Here’s your chance!
PPPQP
Quick refresher on what the deal is with the Paper Piecing Party (full details here):
* It’s on every weekend here at Quiet Play, starting Friday.
* Link up something you’re working on that’s foundation paper pieced
* Link a blog post or flickr photo
* Visit at least two other links and leave a comment because that’s half the fun!



9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new pattern. The quilts look gorgeous. I like the idea of paper piecing as I often don't get sharp points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!!! It looks great. Love each version by the testers too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! And thanks so much for showing off my version :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy this looks great, I'm obviously not very observant but it took me until almost the bottom of the post to realise that each row had an 'odd one out' colour in it, which I love, as it adds another dimension to the quilt. Yay for having a full quilt pattern listed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous pattern - I love all of the others versions too, especially the one in solids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Kristy all of the quilts look wonderful, what a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! It's pretty. I like that black binding you went with. Plus it's cool to see the other versions too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pattern turns out so beautifully in all ways!! They are all so pretty!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the quilts turned out great. I'm sure it's a wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!