Monday 24 June 2013

I seriously love LEGO.

 For more reasons than one. Let’s start with the best one. I wrote to the LEGO group to check if it was okay to share my LEGO Star Wars/DC Comics patterns for free. I had previously received permission to share my basic LEGO minifigure patterns, but I was a little unsure this time round because of the Star Wars/DC Comics thing.

LEGO Star Wars paper pieced patterns

I got a lovely email back this morning and must share this key part:


It’s great to hear that our LEGO Star Wars and DC Superhero minifigures are inspiring you! The rules for LEGO® Star Wars & LEGO DC Universe trademark use are basically the same as those for our own LEGO trademarked names, images and products, so we're happy to give you the permission you seek. However, if your designs include non-LEGO trademarked images by the image rights holders of Star Wars or DC Comics, this is something we would not be able to advise on.

So! Yay! I can share the patterns freely. They are to be for personal use only however – unlike my other original patterns.  I do need to check into whether the names of the characters are trademarked (have a sneaky suspicion on that) but otherwise, it looks like once the patterns are finished testing we are good to go!

LEGO DC Comics characters

I am still in need of a couple more testers – so please let me know if you’re keen. I like to aim for minimum two testers per pattern so still up for grabs: Star Wars: Mace Windu, Chewy, Clone trooper, Yoda and Ahsoka. and DC Comics: Catwoman and the Penguin. Let me know if you’re interested!

I’ve made a couple more blocks for my epic LEGO Star Wars quilt and have ordered fabrics to continue the quilt. The most important being a fleshy tone for the faces. I’ve gone with Kona Ice Peach. I’ll let you know how that works out when it arrives!
Winking smile
Paper pieced R2D2

I’m also working on a crazy amount of LEGO light sabers to go with my quilt. I’ve made a start. Two! hehehehe.

Paper pieced Light sabers

So my count right now is 4 blocks made out of 32. Woohoo, I”m 1/8th of the way there!

Paper pieced LEGO Star Wars blocks so far

And finally – I just want to say a big thank you for the excitement and encouragement about these patterns. I’m really thrilled with them (though it’s a monster amount of work for a quilt!) and am loving seeing the tester versions popping up around the place! I really appreciate your enthusiasm! Thank you!

If you’re needing a paper piecing fix while waiting for these guys to become available, I have a Buy 2, get 1 free deal happening at the moment. Just purchase two patterns from my Craftsy shop and email me with the name of the third pattern you’d like for free. Too easy.

B2G1 QP

Paper piece on, my friends. Winking smile

32 comments:

  1. These are great, I'd love to be a pattern tester if you still need any! I wouldn't mind which pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun! They are looking good. I'd love to do a trooper if you need a tester for that. I love paper piece patterns and being a tester as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be awesome! You are doing great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. R2D2 is the just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pattern designs are incredible! Fabulous work! It will be a good while before my granddaughter is old enough to appreciate Lego - she's even too young for the Duplo stage yet :-) but her Dad's Lego stash is in the loft - ready and waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh they are awesome!! I'd love to do Yoda and Catwoman if they're available!
    What a great response from Lego!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking totally.....AWESOME!!!!!
    I am sure Mr J will have this quilt for ever. I am trying not to show your posts to my two - LOL - Mummy needs way more PP practice first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd gladly do Ahsoka if you still need a tester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristy, there are no words to describe just how AWESOME you are :) Love. It.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be very happy to test Chewy or Yoda if you still need a tester?
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be a tester too if you still need some?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to test for you! These are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to test for you! I have a huge Lego Star Wars fan who would love to see me working on something like this. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be the quilt that every son/husband begs their mum/wife to make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I seriously love your patterns!! You are so awesome!! Good thing you have a bit before J's birthday but you will probably need to do 1-2 blocks a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome!! I meant to send you message, i picked up a yard of Kona Ice Peach from my LQS on Saturday and it matches what i was originally using for Leia's face. I think it's a perfect choice for skin tone. If i don't melt from the heat and humidity here today, i should have C3PO done by dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1/8th of the way there, I love your positive outlook! Would have volunteered to pattern test but we are heading off on holiday next week, will look forward to seeing all the finished blocks on my return.

    Aren't the LEGO people lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just stumbled upon your patterns from another blog I follow -- she tested out the Leiah pattern for you. If you need further testers please let me know I would LOVE to test these patterns out for you. I am a huge lego star wars collector and a completed top would really tie my living room together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have done such a fabulous job, Kristy! I would love to test another, can I have Chewbacca, please? Love him! And should be able to squeeze him in until the end of the month ;) And Han Solo is adorable! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm happy to test for you too. I would LOVE a Dr Doom pattern

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm happy to test for you too. I would LOVE a Dr Doom pattern

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to test for you. My son..12 ... can name evry speicies and tell you what planet they are from. He would be so freaking excited if I made him something from your new collection. Any of them would br great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How great is that! Thank you Lego (actually, my thank you to Lego was the purchase of some Lego minifigures this morning!). The light sabres are brilliant - you must have been immensely busy designing all these! I seriously think my idea for a cushion might have to morph into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you're still in need of a pattern tester for Chewbacca my Lily is putting up my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very clever they look terrific !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh phew on the pattern legals because the pp world NEEDS more Lego mini figures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't done paper pricing before, so if you want to see how it works for a beginner I will take one for you. Chewy is our fave SW character, but will try anything!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just love your R2D2! Not sure if my PP skills are up to testing but I could give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love them! I wish I could pattern test for you, but I do want to make these for my son's birthday, so I should get on it! My hubby thinks he has the email for the Lucasfilm legal council if you want it. Though, as long as you aren't making money on it, they probably won't notice:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am always blown away by your talent! I don't know if I'm good enough to test for you, but if you want a beginner to try out one of your patterns, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  31. are you still looking for testers for the DC comics? i myself collect the mini figs and world love it for myself:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misty - you came up as a no reply blogger so hopefully you check back here for a message! The DC superhero patterns are all available as freebies in my Craftsy shop now :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every word! I'll do my best to reply to them either via email or here on the blog, when time permits!