Feels like it's been awhile since I had a big finish! So I am more than pleased to say I have finished the mystery quilt! The proper name for it is Thrifty Star due to this bit in the centre:
As you can see I went for some basic straight line quilting on the diagonal. This was a tough quilt to decide on quilting - I went the minimalist approach. Glad I did because it turns out I don't actually enjoy the quilting process. I love piecing and coming up with ideas, but basting and quilting... not so much. I don't think I'm very good at it either. Is it meant to be all wavy like that in the lines? It really didn't look that wavy while I was working on it.
Anyways it is finished and that batting is not going anywhere! So I'll call the quilting mildly successful - as in its doing its job but it's not fantastically pretty. It was also a lot to shove through the machine. Final measurements are 150cm square. Not even sure how much that is in inches/feet. Lots for a throw for the lounge (which this is) but not enough for a single bed. There, that's precise now isn't it. Good thing I'm not a carpenter or engineer.
This quilt is ever changing in its greenness. It looks different in every photo. Bit of a chameleon quilt I think! The colours are more a foresty green in real life.
And for reference, here's some forest.
Okay not really forest. It's true Aussie bush. That's my backyard. Nope, not kidding. This is what it looks like at the end of my (unfenced) yard. Needless to say my wild monkey children would love to take a long walk off into the middle of that. Furtherly needlessly (yes I love making up words, why do you ask?) my children do not go out there unsupervised. Ever. Ever. Ever. Does that sound like I don't trust them? You're right, I don't.
End tangent.Back to quilting.
This quilt felt like it took awhile, sorting out a pieced back, and the binding etc. That's possibly because a lot of the time, my sewing machine looked like this:
It was cute for the first five minutes - hence taking a photo for posterity. After that, well let's just say there was a lot of "Would you please just let Mummy do it? It's Mummy's turn. It's not fair! It's my machine! It's my turn! I don't play with your toys so stop playing with mine!". You get the picture right?
So I was quite pleased to get the backing done without sewing it upside down, inside out or sewing Lulu's and my hands together.
I think I am finally getting the hang of this machine sewn binding thing. And I like it! I took a photo to show you how both the front and back of the binding look in case you're interested.
The top is the front of the quilt, the bottom is the back. You can see there's an extra row of stitching around the edge of the quilt but it's not very noticeable. I really love this machine sewn binding look. I learnt how to do it from this tutorial at Crazy Mom Quilts and it revolutionised my quilting life.
So there you have it. A Friday Finish. And I am feeling a little less frazzled as I can now tick off one big WiP as finished. Yay!
Linking up with TGIFF over at Quilt Monster in my Closet to celebrate!